Friday 28 February 2014

Good news!

I didn't post this yesterday in case I was being premature and my water balances were messing me around, but since this morning's weigh-in confirms the fact, I shall now share it with you all.

I'm 69 kgs!!!

In English that's 10 stone 12lbs. I'm in the tens!!!!

Oh joy, oh rapture, the pleasure of all that effort paying off is amazing and I feel wonderful. Of course still several kgs to go, but much like reaching your 20th week of pregnancy, I've passed the halfway mark and am now on the home stretch and that is a relief.

I realise I should be wearing the yoga pants I wore in the picture on the first blog entry, but I couldn't be bothered to put them on and besides, I like this dress...
So, Champers all round I reckon! Am busily making a chocolate fudge cake in between typing, since my daughter is home from boarding school this weekend for the first time since she left.

Whooppeeee!!!

To celebrate I'm posting a recipe I nicked straight from Facebook, but it looked too good to not share, and damned the calories!

So, happy weekend! (Or enjoy what's left of it to those of you in the Middle East...)



Chocolate Salted Caramel Tart Recipe:
Makes 6 small 8-cm tarts or one big 22-cm tart

For the Crust:

• 110 gr butter, softened;
• 100 gr sugar;
• 1 large egg yolk;
• 130 gr all purpose flour;
• 30 gr cocoa powder.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in the egg yolk. Combine the flour and cocoa powder and add them to the butter mixture. Mix in until it just comes together. Roll out the dough or form it just pressing it with your fingers into 6 8-cm rings laid down on a paper lined baking tray. Fridge the tarts shells for an hour to set. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180º C. Prick the tart shells all over with a fork and blind bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

For the Caramel:

• 125 ml water;
• 400 gr granulated sugar;
• 60 gr glucose;
• 125 ml heavy cream;
• 110 gr butter (if using salted butter skip the salt below);
• 15 gr flaked sea salt.
In a saucepan, whisk together the sugar, glucose and the water and bring to a boil. Salt can be added at this initial step (skip if using salted butter), but I prefer to add it at the end in order to preserve the salt crystals. Cook without stirring until amber colour, if using a candy thermometer it should reach 180º C . Remove the pan from heat and whisk in the butter and the cream until smooth. Pour caramel into cooled tart shells and refrigerate until firm, around 4 hours.

For the Ganache:

• 120 gr heavy cream;
• 120 gr high quality dark chocolate
• Sea salt or kosher salt for garnish
Bring the cream to a simmer. Then pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Wait for a minute, then stir to obtain a smooth ganache. Pour the ganache evenly over the tarts and refrigerate for further 4 hour. Before serving sprinkle with sea salt, but not before as it will melt away.

Tip: If you have any caramel left, wait till it hardens, then tear small pieces of it and dip them in dark chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment