Sunday 26 January 2014

Day 20 and why giving up meat is good for your diet...

I mentioned on day one that I had recently given up eating meat. I won't say I'm vegetarian since I still eat fish - not sure what the correct term for that is, vegefisharian? - but I've found this change to my diet has been extremely helpful in my pursuit of a slimmer, healthier me.

I've noticed that excluding an entire food group is a very good way for you to focus on what you do eat, and can make you far more discerning about your food choices.

It also makes you creative; there's nothing easier than throwing a steak on the barbie or stir-frying some chicken breasts, but when you are making a main meal out of vegetables you really need to use your imagination a bit.

Another upside is that you won't find yourself picking at kids' chicken nuggets when they come out of the oven, or stuffing half a sausage roll in your mouth while you clear their plates.

I promise I won't turn this blog into a food blog, but I simply had to share a recipe I tried out last night - again from Sarah Wilson's 'I Quit Sugar',  which is a wonderful source of low-carb recipes and helpful tips to reduce your sugar intake.

This recipe is substantial enough to work as a main course, served with a nice salad, and even DH was begging for more - more zucchini cheesecake I mean...


Zucchini (or courgette) Cheesecake
This is simply delish!


Ingredients

coconut oil/ghee/butter/oil for greasing
2 large zucchini (or in English, courgettes)
550g ricotta (I couldn't get any so used mascarpone)
3/4 cup parmesan (again, couldn't get this -darn living in the outback - but cheddar will do)
2 green shallots, chopped (I used onions)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup chopped dill (I used a tsp on dried)
zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup crumbled feta

What to do:
  • grease a baking dish and preheat oven to 170 degrees
  • grate the zucchini (if you have a shredding disc on your food blender, use that, or if like me you don't, you'll be stuck doing it manually which is laborious but worth it). Sprinkle the grated zucchini with salt and leave for 15 minutes before draining as much moisture as possible from it.
  • mix the ricotta, parmesan, shallots, garlic, dill, lemon and eggs together
  • add the zucchini
  • pour into baking dish and bake for an hour. Remove from oven and crumble feta over the top, before returning to the oven for 25 minutes. 
  • allow to cool for a few minutes
  • dig in!
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment