Friday 10 January 2014

Day 4 and we're on our way!

Good news!

So, dear reader, I bring you very glad tidings indeed. After four days of daily workouts with Jillian Michaels, two twilight swims (10 lengths of the pool), a relinquishment of all alcoholic beverages as well as a slight tightening of permitted food items, I'm proud to tell you I have lost the princely sum of 3kgs.

Breathe in!
It sounds impressive but experience tells me that the first few kgs come and go easily so I won't get too excited about it (although I did of course immediately rush to try on this dress (right), alas to no avail >.)

The key now is to acknowledge the good work done and vow to continue on this path of health, peace and enlightenment. To remain in the zone so to speak.

Of course every fibre of my being is now screaming ''I lost weight, yey hey!' - it's the freakin' weekend baby in Nothingtodoo - sorry, Paraburdoo - let's crack open the vino and bring on the karaoke!!'  (We have to make our own fun in the outback...)

I'm sure there's some middle ground somewhere - I dunno, like Karaoke without wine? - but really, karaoke without wine is a little like childbirth without an epidural- not really fun to begin with, but without it, no fun at all. Nobody wants to sing 'Someone like you' unless they truly believe they can sing it as well as, if not BETTER than, Adele, and that can only happen if there's wine involved.

Diet

Anyway, today I want to talk a little bit about diet. I know I've stated previously that I'm keen to keep the focus off food and onto exercise and clean living, but I want to add a few words on the subject.

In my humble opinion, a weight-loss regime based around food is doomed before it starts because you spend your whole time thinking about, planning, and working out calories for - your next meal. I say, eat when you're hungry - within reason, rather than eat because it's 1.30 pm and your diet tells you it's time for half a cup of mung beans an an oz of cheese. This is simply a recipe for disaster and is likely to result in you frantically stuffing yourself with Rolos by 5 pm. And then you're back to square one, but then of course the diet industry are banking on that, aren't they, as they remind you gently - you need our help.

I'm with Joanna Lumley on this one when she told a reporter that she usually skipped breakfast because she wasn't hungry in the morning, saying, 'Why wake Annie Appetite before you need to?' So often we're told 'always eat breakfast, most important meal of the day', when in fact I find if I make breakfast a priority I'm thinking about lunch immediately afterwards and then the entire day revolves around my next meal.

On most days all I require for the first two or three hours of the day is coffee, coffee and more coffee, so why force the food issue?*

*Clearly I'm not advocating this as a healthy lifestyle just commenting that I find this approach more useful to me than the accepted 'three meals a day at allotted times' or the even more preachy 'six small meals a day' as if we're cattle and can't go twenty minutes without sitting down to some carefully measured out lettuce with a teaspoon of mayonnaise...or whatever. This turns the entire day into one big food-obsessed endurance test.


No comments:

Post a Comment